- Family Law
- Child Custody & Support
- Property Distribution
- Domestic Violence
I enjoy spending time with my family, going to live music events, traveling to experience new cultures, meeting new people, sailing, skiing, and sampling food of all kinds!
I practice family law because it allows me to develop a direct relationship with a real person who needs real help. For the last several years, I have taken a particular interest in cases that involve personality disorders. Litigation that includes a party with a narcissistic, histrionic, antisocial, or borderline personality disorder creates special legal challenges - but also opportunities. Understanding the difficulties these disorders present is often the critical first step towards resolution. Family law matters are deeply personal, and the outcome of the client's case is likely one of the most important events in their life. It is a privilege to help them navigate the often frustrating and confusing legal process.
I enjoy helping clients make the best decisions for themselves by explaining not only what the law is, but also how the law works and why. Educating and advising clients is one of best parts of my profession. When clients understand the how and why, they can begin to make sound decisions about their future, and confidently embrace the new life that is waiting for them.
- Charlotte School of Law, Charlotte, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2011
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina
- Master of International Business - 1998
- Michigan State University
- B.A. - 1990
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: International Relations
- North Carolina, 2011
- South Carolina, 2012
- North Carolina Bar Association , Member, Present
- South Carolina Bar
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Member, Present
- York County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- SuperLawyers, 2023
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2020 - 2021
- The Law Office of Richard W. Barnes, PLLC, Managing Member, 2011 to 2016